Paintball is seen as a sport that can be played by athletic guys as well as by geeks and nerds. Hard-nosed players include a fair amount of women who enjoy the running and shooting around as much as males do. Besides the paintball gun, goggles, helmet and the body armour, there are several other things that a player can bring along to the paintball game.
- Two-way radio. This does not have to be CB quality. You can bring along a toy walkie-talkie with a limited range, and that would be okay. It might not be legal according to the rules you play with, though. However, if it is allowed within your league, then it is a distinct advantage and can lead to a more strategic game. With a walkie-talkie, you can split up your forces, or you can talk strategy with your partner without using hand signals, or even without being in sight of one another.
- Large water bottle. Paintball is an energetic game, and it can be exhausting. Even if the games themselves do not extend more than ten or fifteen minutes, you would still need to drink water at some point. Large groups of paintball players can take a long time to finish a game of capture the flag. In such a case, a water bottle can be a lifesaver.
- Pouches. There is always a need for extra pouches. Even if you were wearing a vest with extra pouches, you would still find a pouch attached to your belt a necessity. Some of the things you can put in pouches include the compressed air containers, as well as extra paintballs. Of course, if the rules of the game have a set limit to what you can carry, you won’t need these extra pouches, but still, it is always better to have an extra container or pouch on your body.
- Duct tape. Seriously, you can bring a roll of duct tape to a paintball game. First off, it is cheaper than gaffer tape. For another, you can choose your colour of duct tape. It can be used to tape items together or to attach specific items on your body, which you can easily discard later.
- Sports camera. If you have a GoPro or any other sports camera, you can bring this along to the game. You can record your moves and games as you go along. If you regularly play with others, or if you are a team playing in a league, you would need a replay of the game where you can watch and learn how the other teams interact. This is like having the best tennis racquets for intermediate players, more than just an edge, and it can help win games as well.
Paintball sounds like it is an individual sport, when in fact, it is more of a team sport where coordination with others is important. However, that does not mean that you can just join and bring what everyone else is bringing. You can choose to bring other items to the game, the better to enjoy it, and to have a better chance of winning.